Joe Zombie :: Episode 6 Joe Zombie :: Episode 6

Okay, I'll admit. This is pretty fucking good. For 2006 these effects are outstanding. Your quality suffers a little bit with respect to some movements that should have easing as well as frame by frame sequences, mainly because of how lanky the characters are - Castle III showed a much smoother style a year later - but that doesn't take away much from how far this series has come and how much work has gone into a strong voice cast and visual effects. A couple lines of dialogue feel canned but other than that this is outstanding and holds up pretty well even today. Hard to imagine it's been over ten years since this came out.

I lie to myself I lie to myself

Knowing this is an existing audio clip is extremely aggravating (and pretty obvious when you consider the girl is voiced by a guy.) What bothers me isn't so much that you used this clip but that you added virtually nothing on top of it. Presumably the joke is given context within League, but based on how easy it is to re-purpose this audio clip (you could do it for politicians, any celebrity being caught in a scandal, etc.) I don't feel like the particular sound clip you chose requires much thinking to turn into a reference.

So when you subtract that aspect from the animation, what's left? A clickbait title that sounds as if it's going to be about something serious, and a clickbait thumbnail with breasts. On the inside, pretty solid drawing and lip syncing, but obnoxiously suggestive poses and choppy movements otherwise, especially the awkward walking (and jiggling) animation at the end. Ultimately what annoys me the most about this is how Buzzfeed-y it is. You take a piece of original content, minimally transform it, then add all of the bells and whistles to attract viewers without providing anything substantial of your own. Though when I see you've been doing the same thing with the thumbnails for the past two years and probably make between $10,680 and $32,040 annually through Patreon I doubt you're going to give a shit about any of this.

Ed, Edd n Eddy in 2017 Ed, Edd n Eddy in 2017

For what it is, this is good. You nailed the art style and the animation looks good, but there's no real punchline, no dialogue and there's hardly even a commentary to be made, since talking about people being on their phones has long gotten old.

Rack Rack

There's a lot of creativity going on here, and I like that. Orgasm control is pretty great and this is the first game I've seen that's so heavily based around it. The unlockables and objectives are also very in-depth and show serious effort on the side of the developer.

There are three glaring issues in this game that docked you a couple points. First, I'm really not a fan of the art style. The game is customizable - there's no good reason why you couldn't have had several artists of different styles putting work into the game so that there's something for everyone. Second, the lack of voice acting and original dialogue for each character make it a little hard to be engaged in the test subjects themselves (even though the subject matter is outstanding.) Finally, this game lags like CRAZY. You should really limit the game to just two subjects at once, render the graphics as rasters, and only show toys while they're in use. As-is the slowdown makes this game unplayable by the time you've unlocked everything.

Suppressed Demo Suppressed Demo

I'm actually making a game with a VERY similar story (three people escaping a fascist country also based on North Korea, lol) and really wanted to play this to see how it compared, but as others have said it's buggy beyond belief. The poor animation, slow walking speed, use of text to speech, and random freezes make this look unpolished in addition to being unplayable.

zephyo responds:

yeah... this was my first game so I kinda sucked at like everything lmao. thanks for your review on my other game btw. Lots of detail and helpful points.

I woke up next to you again. I woke up next to you again.

I got three of the four endings before throwing up my hands.

This is such a gorgeous game. I've always been a sucker for black and white - MadWorld and Limbo are two of the best in my opinion - and this is no different. The film noir, high contrast and bloom make this visually stunning, and the girl is absurdly attractive. If I can nitpick a little, the only thing I didn't like was the weird branches that sat behind the text bubbles. These just looked awkward to me when compared to the meticulous detail of everything else.

The music is nice but not outstanding. Suitable for the style of game, I think.

The real problem with this game is its brevity. Playing through multiple times gives you enough information to recognize that the girl is a fatal attraction, but rather than the message being subtle it comes across as incomplete. Thematically, or as a narrative, this feels like part of a larger story. It's frustrating having so many choices, too, because it gives the illusion of a larger story existing when the amount of content is deceptively small.

-mao- 'Old Man Logan' prod by Akaruhime -mao- 'Old Man Logan' prod by Akaruhime

This is a really strong track, mainly due to the writing (which synergized with the beat really well too.) The only real issue I took with this was the somewhat monotone delivery which sometimes lacked the same power and aggression as the lyrics. Still, definitely one of your stronger tracks.

MickeyMao responds:

Thank you so much for the feedback. Glad you liked the lyrics. I agree that my delivery couldve used some work; I shouldve held off and recorded when I didn't have a lunge infection, but sometimes, you just gotta get something out before doing something stupid.

Energy Control Cannon Energy Control Cannon

Huge fan of VoM but this sounds a little repetitive. Something about the layering just felt off to me.

Decap Intro - Koolfox RMX Decap Intro - Koolfox RMX

I know this is 8 years old but I hope you read this. Decap Attack has some of the best music I've ever heard from a Genesis game and it's a shame no one knows about it. I really love the suspense that you added to this track, although I think I would have preferred to hear the main melody as a guitar riff. Regardless this sounds outstanding.

At a Loss At a Loss

Something kind of puts me off about this image. Maybe it's how alike the raindrops look, maybe it's the weird layering of darkness around the model, maybe it's the weird single-shade hill she's standing on, but this just looks wrong. The smudgy effects make it look pretty but there isn't enough detail.

grayscale practice girl grayscale practice girl

The amount of detail in this is absurd. From a distance it looks photorealistic, and she's pretty cute on top of that. Bottom lip looks a tad big and the eyebrows are a tiny bit too heavy but this is crazy talent.

skin/anatomy studies skin/anatomy studies

Outstanding work. The bottom two have such perfect lighting that I thought they were 3D models at first. Really liking the natural brushstroke style of the top two, though. Proportions, lighting - everything looks exquisite.